Tuesday, August 31, 2010

organized chaos

well, i survived my first week at my new gig.  i am not going to lie, it is complete chaos right now but i absolutely love it.  in my previous case management experience i never had the chance to work with people with down syndrome so i was naturally a little nervous about the adjustment.  it sounds crazy (as do most of my thoughts), but these kids have changed my life in the span of one week.  they are the most positively amazing people on the planet.  their outlook on life is incredibly endearing.  i am even more amped up about this program now that i have started.  we are still working out a lot of the kinks but it is coming together quite nice.  we are one of only nine (or something close to that) programs like this in the u.s. and i feel so incredibly honored to be a part of it.  i felt strongly that this change would do me some good and i could not have been more right...which as we all know is usually the case:)  i have felt more like myself in the past 10 days than i have in the past 10 months.  don't get me wrong, i loved my job at main street but it was time for a change.

speaking of main street...we will begin interviews next week so hopefully i will have a replacement soon.  i am happy to help them out in the interim but i am seriously meeting myself coming and going!  the board is having a going-away party for me this thursday which i am very excited about.  it will be  nice to kick back and relax with the people i have worked with over the past four years as well as a few of my bffs who have continually supported me.  because several of my previous board members work at ucm i have the good fortune of continuing to work with them in the future.

so, as nervous as i was about putting the kibosh on the the baby makin' process, it was absolutely the best decision we could have made.  i have some time to get settled into my new job and then we can get back on track after the first of the year.  my new gig is not allowing me to think about much else which is just what i needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment