Friday, May 7, 2010

lucky number seven

what a day.  josh and i went in for my egg retrieval and his testicular biopsy this morning at 6:45 am.  we went to rrc first where we met with dr. nangia before taking him back for his procedure.  i then met my mom and we headed over to one day surgery where we encountered the rudest check-in lady ever.  some people are clearly in the wrong profession.  it wasn't long after checking in that they took me back to put on that sexy gown and get my iv started.  by the time they got me set up josh was already done with his biopsy and he and my mom were able to come sit with me until they took me to the operating room.  josh's procedure went really well, it was a nice relief to see that he was okay before they put me under.  after about a half an hour they sent my mom and josh back to the waiting room and gave me the anesthesia.  wow,  a dose of that every evening and insomnia would be a thing of the past.  i remember them wheeling me into the or and moving me to the table and nothing else until i woke up.  when i awoke, i just kept asking the poor male nurse standing next to me how many eggs they were able to retrieve.  seriously, i bet i asked him 15 times.  every time he would leave for one second and come back i would ask him again.  it wasn't long after that they allowed my mom and josh to come back there with me where they informed me that they were able to retrieve 7 eggs.  while this is not the best news, it is not the worst either.  while most doctor's agree that getting 10-12 eggs gives you the best chances of success, it does not mean that it won't work.  it was not the news that we wanted but it is the news that we got so all we can do is move forward.  they made me eat some crackers to make sure i didn't get sick and sent us on our way.

after we left, they took the eggs over to the ivf lab where they began preparing them for fertilization with josh's sperm.  they will pick the best sperm and the best eggs and combine them with hopes of creating an embryo.  they pick up one of josh's sperm and insert it straight into the center of one of my eggs.  it is likely that not all seven of the eggs retrieved will be mature enough to attempt to fertilize but they will try with all of them that are.  they will call us in the morning with our first embryo count.  we want it to be four or above, anything below that and there will be cause for concern.  not all embryos will continue to grow until next wednesday and they would like to implant two so that phone call is very important.

we are both doing very well.  josh is really moving around with ease and i am not as sore as i had anticipated. they said i would be much more sore tomorrow and sunday but as good as i feel today i don't think it should be too bad.  this whole process has been such a challenge for me mostly because i have felt so out of control but up until now i have at least felt like i could help by my juicing, eating healthy, cutting out caffeine and alcohol, acupuncture, guided imagery, and so on.  now it feels so out of our hands.  our little embryos are an hour away, all by themselves.  i just need them to be strong and continue to grow until next wedensday where they can transfer them and i can take extra good care of them.  i still feel positive, i knew all along that this would be the most difficult part.  all of the needles, meds, procedures, are pale in comparison to having to wait each day over the next five for our embryo report each morning.  maybe that is what the vicodin is for:)

i have to say again, to all of our friends and family, it is because of you that we are able to do this.  we know that you all have your own busy lives but it has meant so much that you have all kept us so close to your hearts at this difficult time.  it sometimes feels very lonely and scary going through this but your support has eased that burden tremendously.  i look forward to delivering some fabulous news after our early morning phone call.  until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment