Wednesday, May 12, 2010

oh baby


sheesh.  what a day.  we got up this morning bright and early to head to our transfer.  it was definitely a jumbled up mix of emotions...excited, scared, emotional...while fixing my hair i was actually crying and smiling at the same time.  everything we have been doing has led up to this day, this was the one that truly counts.  i was able to take my valium at 9:00 so at that point all of my emotions pretty much balanced out.  they took us back to the transfer room about 10:00 and informed us that they were going to transfer two.  i am not sure but i think i let out a loud moan.  only one of them is an actual blastocyst but they thought if they went ahead and inserted the other it might catch up and continue to grow inside of me.  they rated both of them as fair.  they wanted to be upfront about the fact that they are not excellent quality embryos.  dr. brabec estimated our odds of success at about 35-40%.  i am choosing to believe those are good odds.

the whole procedure took less than ten minutes which just seems crazy to me.  for as technical and time consuming this whole process has been it is kind of ironic that the big day takes up the least amount of time.  they inserted the catheter, showed us our embryos on a screen and then proceeded to insert them.  i then asked the doctor my five thousand questions for the day, they made me lay there for 15 minutes and we were on our way.  crazy.

from rrc we headed to my acupuncture appointment which was fabulous as always.  she said my pulse felt really great and my body seemed relaxed which will certainly help.  she also told me she would recommend i stay off dairy for at least two weeks.  apparently dairy products cause your body to be "damp" which causes mucus build-up in the body that can make it difficult for the little nuggets to implant.  at first i thought this would be no big deal until josh reminded me on the way home that sour cream and butter are dairy products.  what can i say, i am not functioning on all cylinders these days:)  honestly, i would hop on one leg and sing show tunes at this point if someone told me it would help.

they allowed us to take pictures of the embryos before transfer which was pretty cool and i have posted them below.  the one on top is the blastocyst.  if you look carefully you can see how it is split into two sections, one is the baby and one is the placenta.  the other one is not that far developed yet.  so fascinating.  they are the size of a spec of dust at this point, it is truly hard to believe.

josh and i both feel very good.  we feel extremely positive.  i find myself constantly rubbing my belly sending those babies all the love and energy i have.  hopefully by now they have found their way to my uterine wall and attached themselves nicely.  i feel a lot better now that they are inside of me instead of some incubator.  while we were in the transfer room and they said they were going to go get them out of the incubator, josh said he hopes we don't have a chicken:)    i am on bed rest today and tomorrow which will be some nice down time.  i go in next thursday for my blood test and will have the results on friday so if you don't hear from me by then i will be sure to update with whatever news we get!



3 comments:

  1. WOW - I love that you posted pics! I wish I could come see you while you are on bed rest. Justin and I are just thinking about you guys like crazy. We are sending all of our positive vibes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle SchubertMay 13, 2010 at 8:58 AM

    The miracle of LIFE, thank you for sharing. Sending all our love and prayers to you and your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending good luck your way!!!!

    ReplyDelete